Need a little passion in your pumpkin? Us too. That’s why we created a recipe that sweetens this hearty pumpkin stew with a bit of tropical warmth–with POG (Passionfruit Orange Guava) juice!
Makes 5-7 Servings
3-4 Chicken Breasts, Cut into Bite-Sized Pieces
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, Chopped
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 Can Pumpkin
4 Cups Chopped Fresh Kale
1 Can Stewed Tomatoes
2 Cans Beans, Drained and Rinsed (such as Pinto, Black, Kidney, Great Northern, etc.–we suggest using two different types)
4 Cups Chicken Broth
2 Cups Sun Tropics Passion Orange Guava Juice
2 teaspoons Chili Powder
1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
1 teaspoon Oregano
3/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Pumpkin (Optional, for serving)
1. Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and chicken. Sprinkle with half of each of the spices (keep remaining half to add to stew). Cook until onions are softened and chicken is cooked through.
2. In a large soup pot, combine remaining ingredients. Add onions, garlic, and chicken mixture.
3. Heat on medium-high until stew begins to simmer. Stir, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer. For soupier stew, simmer only 3-5 minutes, and serve immediately. For thicker stew, allow stew to continue simmering until desired consistency is reached.
4. If opting to serve in a pumpkin, cut around the top of the pumpkin and remove top, then hollow out pumpkin. To help keep stew hot longer, line the inside with aluminum foil.
5. Enjoy! Don’t forget to photograph your creation and share with us how yours turned out on our Facebook and Twitter Pages!