Our cake-pop recipe infuses Calamansi for a fresh burst of flavor! Such a deliciously fun project!
1 White or Yellow Cake Mix
1/2 Can (3/4 Cup) Soda Water
3/4 Cup Calamansi Juice
1-3 Tablespoons Canned Frosting
Melting Candy (We like Almond Bark)
Skewers or Popsicle Sticks
Candy for Decorating (We used Neon Licorice Ropes, Sour Gummy Worms, Mini-Chocolate Chips, and Mini Cookies)
Bake the Cake:
1. DO NOT FOLLOW THE RECIPE ON THE BOX! Simply dump the Cake Mix into a bowl.
2. Mix in 1/2 Can of Soda Water and 3/4 Cup Calamansi Juice.
3. Stir or mix until smooth (yup, that’s it!).
4. Bake according to instructions on box (you may need to bake it a little longer since it will have less fat than the recipe on the box–you’ll know it’s done when a toothpick comes out clean (no dough) or when you poke the top of the cake, it springs back).
*Cake will be crumbly. That’s okay! We are going to mix it into a yummy batter!
Mix the Cake-Ball Batter:
1a. For 12 Snowmen: Mix half the cake with 2 Tablespoons of Canned Frosting until it is the consistency of a smooth batter.
1b. For 24 Snowmen: Mix the entire cake with 4 Tablespoons of Canned Frosting until it is the consistency of a smooth batter.
2. Divide batter in half, then half again, and again, until it is divided into 12 or 24 equal parts (depending on if you are making 12 or 24 pops).
*This will not look like much batter, but I promise, it’s enough! They start out very small, but by the time they get their candy layer, they’re perfect!
3. Once you have either your 12 or 24 equal little sections, divide each chunk of batter into two parts to form the snowman: one larger and one smaller. Use the palm of your hands to roll one small ball for the head and one larger ball for the body.
4. Place balls in fridge to chill for 15 to 30 minutes (they will be easier to work with).
Prepare the Decorating Materials:
While your cake-balls are chilling, open all your candies for decorating and start planning how you will dress your lovely ladies and gents.
We cut neon licorice ropes and sour gummy worms into scarves, arms, buttons, mouths, and decorative accents. We also used mini-chocolate chips for buttons, eyes, and mouths, as well as some mini-cookies we had on hand to form a hat. Be creative! There is no wrong way to create awesome.
We even put together different combination sets for some of the snowmen while we waited for the balls to chill. This is a good idea, because once you dip it in the melted layer, you have to work fast or it will harden on you before you’re finished!
Make the Snowmen:
1. Melt the Melting Candy or Almond Bark according to instructions of package.
2. First we are going to secure the body and head onto the stick. Dip the tip of the Skewer or Popsicle Stick into the melted candy and slide a large ball down until just a quarter inch or so is showing. Dip the tip of the stick back in the melted candy and lightly press the head down. Set aside to harden (it won’t take long).
3. Dip the secured snowmen into the bowl headfirst. Coat the entire body with the mixture. Remember that the thinner the layer, the faster it will dry. Once you remove him from the bowl, move quickly to get your snowman decorated before he hardens into ice!
4. Create a face, hat or earmuffs, headband, arms, clothes, scarves, or whatever else you would like if you were a cake-man or woman!
*Note you may have to reheat the almond bark after you have been creating for awhile. As it cools, it hardens and becomes more difficult to work with.
How do you dry/display these things?!
*Our trick is egg cartons. We like to fill an (empty!) egg carton with rocks, turn it upside down, and skewer them in. It helps to use a skewer that hasn’t been “snowmanned” yet to poke holes in each egg compartment first. Then, your drying snowmen slide right in. You can use this to display, too. Just cover the egg carton with burlap before placing the snowmen in, or once the snowmen are in hide the carton with paper or fabric napkins.
Oh, and one more little thing . . .
Our cake-men made us promise to tell you: if you happen to have an awesome sporting event coming up, cake-men love game-day parties!